Saturday, 7 October 2017

Solihull Immigration and Naturalisation Centre

Australia was very kind to me when the only passport I had was a Rhodesian one – and only South Africa and, I think, Uruguay, recognised it.  Despite my British heritage and my opposition to the Rhodesian government’s disastrous policies, the UK would not grant me a passport in the 1970s, nor even agree to admit me should I choose to rock up at Heathrow.  Canada, New Zealand, the US, even Hong Kong, were in their various ingenious ways, unhelpful.  But Australia accepted me on my perceived merits and gave me a temporary travel document.  You can see why, though I no longer live in Australia, I am fiercely proud of my Aussie passport.
I had to get a special visa when I emigrated from Australia to Britain.  My grandparents were, all four, English, but that was considered irrelevant, though two had patriotically responded to the British government’s campaigns encouraging settlers in the colonies.  But now that Empire was inconvenient I discovered that loyalty works one way only and is anyway time-limited.
Fortunately, my wife had been born in Colchester.  The Consulate in Sydney interviewed me at length before deciding our marriage of ten years was not one of convenience.  I was in – would it be worth the trouble? – but I had to apply for an “Indefinite Residence Permit” stamp in my Australian passport.  Then, after twenty years of increasing panic about immigration, it became more difficult and more expensive exercise to acquire such endorsement.  (Immigrants, by the way, are more enterprising than people who have not chosen a country but just happened to be born there.)
Anyway, I was summoned to attend the Immigration Enforcement Centre at Sandford House in Solihull, and joined the other applicants as they waited fearfully for ages in their serried rows.  My name was eventually called and three minutes later, after a perfunctory interview and a cheerful welcome, I was pronounced genuine!  Great.
But of course I am white, aren’t I?  There was an Asian student nurse ahead of me and one of her documents was slightly wrong: extension denied.  “Can I come back with the right document later?”  No, she would have to reapply from scratch.  The official’s tone was curt, unsympathetic, dismissive.  And it would have been cripplingly expensive for her.  Then there was the fellow who had bought a Post Office cover for his worn Pakistani passport, to keep it tidy, he said.  The official positively screamed at him: “The cover says ‘UK Passport’!  You are committing a criminal offence!” and the offending cover was snatched away and binned.  A large black man with a tiny baby was behind me in the queue.  He looked like Joshua Nkomo.  He was sweating with fear.  Uncharacteristically emotional, I laid my hand on his arm and whispered: “Good luck, mate.”  Officialdom was probably worse where he came from. 
At first I was not allowed to have dual nationality unless one country was my place of birth – and Zimbabwe wanted none of me.  Later the rules changed and I was allowed to hold two passports, and neither had to be my place of birth, but I carried on with just the Australian one.  There was an element of bloody-mindedness in my attitude, but I was more Australian than British, though I feel an alien in any country.  However, it became hideously expensive to have the embossed mini “Indefinite Leave” authorisation placed in my Australian passport – cheaper to become a UK citizen and sport two passports.  No more trips to Solihull.  God knows how crassly ill-mannered, after a few more years of practice, they are today. 
And when I next pass through Heathrow I hope I will be received politely, as I always have been.  And who knows, perhaps darker-hued folk will also be well-received.  And how will Brexit affect things?  I bet ours won’t ever be as offensive as the rudest of all passport officials in the history of immigration control, the South Africans at Beit Bridge in the 1950s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment